On traveling, teaching, learning and living in far western China.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mixed Reactions to a Halfie (Pun Intended)

 Some people hit the nail on the head:

The cashier: Where do you think she's from?
The fried rice chef: Well, she's not from here.
Me: You could ask me where I'm from.
The fried rice chef: She's from the U.S.
Me: Yes.
The fried rice chef: But you're not 100% American right?
Me: What?
The fried rice chef: You must be mixed.
Me: I was born in the States, my Dad is American, my Mom is from Taiwan.
The fried rice chef: She looks Asian.  

Student 1: Go on, ask her.
Student 2: No, I don't want to (giggle)
Me: (go-on-ask-me-smile)
Student 2: Are you mixed-blood?

The fruit seller: Where are you from?
Me: The States.
The fruit seller: Are you mixed-blood?
Me: [the usual explanation]
The fruit seller: You look Asian, but your nose looks American.

Some people just need to verify:

Student: Can I ask you a private question?
Me: Yes...(suspecting this)
Student: Were you born in the States?

Taxi driver: What country are you from?
Me: The States.
Taxi driver:  Are you white?
Me: What? (totally not understanding what he's saying)
Taxi driver: You guys divide it up into white people, black people, etc, right?
Me: Ohhh...yeah, well, I'm half-white and half-Chinese.
Taxi driver: Oh.

Some people can't wrap their minds around it:

The shoe repairman: Where are you from?
Me: The States.
The shoe repairman: But you have black hair.

It didn't cross some people's minds:

The bike repairman's buddy: Where are you from, France?

2 comments:

  1. I love the "go-on-ask-me-smile." Quite well-versed in it myself from repeated questioning. Oh, the joys of being a halfie in China!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoe repairman: Where are you from?
    Me: The States.
    The shoe repairman: But you have black hair.

    I'm hyperventilating aldkjf.

    ReplyDelete