On traveling, teaching, learning and living in far western China.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Welcome to the Meat Market

Ana and I have been doing a lot of cooking lately.  For fresh ingredients, we prefer to go to the local 农贸市场, or Farmer's Market.  Similar to the underground market that Kim and I frequented in Dalian, Shihezi's main market is in a dank, dimly lit building with dubious sanitation.  We get almost everything, from vegetables, to condiments and spices, to freshly (we hope!) butchered meat.

Here's the Han Chinese (non-Halal) meat area of the market.

meat5_aisle2

The meat is laid out on sketchy pieces of cardboard. Forget about refrigeration.

meat3_aisle

You can get all sorts of things. Pig heads, pig feet, innards galore...

meat1_pigheads

Tell the lady how much you want, and she'll obligingly go to work with axes and other tools.

meat7_tools

I like this guy. I don't consume large amount of sausage, but if I do, I get it from him.

meat8_sausage

The Uighurs are stationed near several entrances, where they sell their Halal meat, and vegetables take up the other side of the market.

meat2_uighur

When contemplating a cut, you should definitely poke, touch, pick up, and handle the meat with your unwashed hands as much as possible.

meat4_touching

Don't worry about putting out your cigarette, as the butchers themselves sometimes smoke while working.

Much as the uncleanliness of the places makes me shudder, I genuinely enjoy shopping here.  You can't get this kind of experience in the US anymore.  We buy all of our conveniently shrink-wrapped food products at the supermarket, where health code is supposedly protecting consumers.  Gone is the old-time butcher.  I'll really miss Chinese markets when I come home!

Ok, I think I've sufficiently tormented my vegetarian parents.  (Sorry, Mom and Dad!)  On to other topics...

No comments:

Post a Comment