On traveling, teaching, learning and living in far western China.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pictures of Xishuangbanna

Here are some pictures from Xishuangbanna, Yunnan, that go with this previous post.

Most of the Dai villages I passed had ornate entrance structures similar to what one would see in Thailand.

Winter '12 033

The villages were small, but to me the houses seemed very big--it's not often that one sees detached, multistory houses ("villas", as they are called) in China.

Winter '12 031

I stumbled across this Buddhist temple in one village. A young monk told me that about 20 monks live there.

Winter '12 015

Winter '12 016

The city of Jinghong had a waterfront walk along the Mekong. One of the nicest waterfronts I've seen in China, although the statues (loose representations of what must of been Dai women) did get uglier and more numerous the closer one got to the touristy night market area.

Winter '12 019

I ate Dai food every night. This barbecued fish was stuffed with spices, tied with lemongrass, and wrapped in banana leaves. Delectable! And oh, how I love you, sticky rice.

Winter '12 036

Pictures of Laos up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment