On traveling, teaching, learning and living in far western China.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pictures of Laos

I'll do a separate post for the Plain of Jars, but here are some pictures from Northern Laos. Just over the border from China.

Winter '12 056

The Khmu village I visited on my trek out of Luang Namtha

Winter '12 068

Women entering the village from the fields.

Winter '12 066

Meanwhile, the men were drinking rice whiskey out of a stone jar, supposedly in celebration of the last day of the school year.

Winter '12 073

The food on the trek was delicious -- sticky rice and simple stir-fried vegetables. Served on a giant banana leaf.

Winter '12 082

After Luang Namtha I went to Nong Khiaw, a small riverside town. From there I took a 7-hour boat ride to Luang Prabang, pulling in during sunset.

Winter '12 100

Winter '12 126

Luang Prabang was a tourist zoo, with a night market that spanned for blocks.

Winter '12 153

Luckily there were day trips to get out of the city, like to this cool waterfall.

Winter '12 129

Also, I found a back alley with a cheap noodle stand that I had to keep going back to.

Winter '12 172

The combination of chili and lime...sublime!

Winter '12 173

More pictures of Laos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment